[UFO Chicago] debian woody on an imac rev. b -- success! (fwd)

Fri, 10 Jan 2003 20:09:33 -0600

Quoting Nick Moffitt:
> 	So how is yaboot as an interface to the boot setup stuff, in
> general?  Does it try to shoehorn OF operations into Linuxy boot
> configs or what?

Yeah. It acts like lilo and the configs look like lilo.conf.
Basically, it sits in a boostrap partition that OF expects. When OF
calls it, it bootstraps the kernel.

It appears to work differently (or reside in different locations)
depending on the system architecture. On Old World macs, yaboot will
sit in PrEP boot partitions (the old way) and on IBM hardware it's
apparently read directly from the root filesystem. A program called
ybin takes care of getting yaboot into the bootstrap partition.

That's what I learned from doing it/reading the yaboot manpage. I'm
rather hazy myself on how the whole MBR/lilo marriage works though, so
someone who understands those things better might be a more useful
resource.

pedro

--
Peter A. Peterson II, technician and musician.
---=[ http://tastytronic.net/~pedro/ ]=---