[UFO Chicago] debian woody on an imac rev. b -- success!

Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:29:56 -0600

Quoting Nate Riffe:
> Just now Crow Leader made 15 LEDs in my apartment flash with this:
> >
> > just install OS X
>
> K IM BLOKIN U NOW

Ok... have we all entered our cranky winter stupor or something? This
is ridiculous.

Anyway, to answer to your suggestion that I should "just install OS
X," there are several reasons why that was not a preferable solution.

1. Money. I'm not going to buy or pirate OS/X.
2. Memory. This iMac doesn't have as much RAm as OS/X wants.
3. CPU power. This is only a 233 G3 PPC. Reports are that OS/X is a
dog on it, pretty much even if you turn off the bells and whistles.
4. Challenge. I wanted to do something unique.
5. Customization.
6. Freedom. As much as I respect OS/X for what it is, it is not
sufficiently free for my tastes.

There -- 6 ways (i'm sure there are some more) where GNU/Linux is a
better solution than OS/X would have been.

uncle pedro