[UFO Chicago] WCLUG on Thursday, January 2

Crow Leader kkanno@users.symmetric.net
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 23:34:22 -0600

The GNU license is pretty restrictive and virus-like in nature. Unless you
read it front to back, don't even try to argue this.

A great example is a GNU program I added a bit of funtionality to. Then I
read the license that would have to apply to my changes and after realizing
that I did not have the option of changing any of it, decided not to share
any of it.

Nothing was stifled there or anything because of a parasitic must apply to
all new changes or revisions to software agreement. The "open season" BSD
style license is the only reasonable one I've seen for "free" software.

KEN
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike McCune" <mmccune@attbi.com>
To: "Crow Leader" <kkanno@users.symmetric.net>
Cc: <ufo@ufo.chicago.il.us>
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 11:09 PM
Subject: Re: [UFO Chicago] WCLUG on Thursday, January 2

OK, I'll bite on a troll. The owner of the software has a right to release
it
under any license he chooses and the users can choose the software they use.
All other things being equal, why would a user choose software with heavy
restrictions (proprietary) when there is plenty of less restrictive software
(free) available?