[UFO Chicago] IDE-CD / IDE-SCSI switching

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sun Dec 28 21:10:43 CST 2003

Nate Riffe wrote:

 >>That's what I was trying to do, but it wouldn't pick up properly.
 >>
 >>rmmod ide-scsi
 >>insmod ide-cd
 >>
 >>The above gave no errors, but /dev/hdc still was not a valid block
 >>device.  That's the part I'm trying to fix. :-)
 >
 > You're sure it's the master device on ide1, right?

Yes, I'm sure.  However, I figured out the problem, although I'm not
entirely sure why it's a problem.

I had lilo.conf configured with the line

append="hdc=ide-scsi"

To tell it to use the scsi emulator for hdc.  When I removed that,
however, and just let it figure it out on its own, it still used
ide-scsi for hdc... but not for hda (the hard drive).  And then the
above rmmod/insmod pair worked fine, and I now have burning and DVD
support from the same drive.

So yay, it works.  But can someone explain how it is that it knows how
to use ide-scsi for just the one drive and not any others?

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it
to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the
possession of every one, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of
it."  -- Thomas Jefferson