[UFO Chicago] lprng vs. CUPS

Jesse Becker jesse_becker at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 28 23:11:36 CDT 2003

--- "Peter A. Peterson II" <pedro at tastytronic.net> wrote:
> Wow, Jesse, you were right.

Wow, must be a first time for everything I suppose. :-)

> CUPS kicked the booty of
> lprng in no time flat!

There's a nice HTTP interface, as well as a number of
non-web graphical interfaces as well.  Try 'cupsdconf', and
I think there's one more, but forget the name.

> Debian installed the CUPS lp, but not lpr... I symlinked
> lpr to lp...
> is that bad? It made mozilla happy, although I then
> discovered that I
> could tell mozilla to use lp instead of lpr.

I don't know the details, but I *think* the difference
between lp and lpr is that 'lp' was (originally) used to
print to local printers only, while 'lpr' submitted jobs to
remote print queues for processing.  These days, I'm not
sure it really matters since the distinction seems to have
been sufficiently blurred.

I just did some checking, there are a number of GUI CUPS
front ends:  'glp' (which I found very little about),
'qtcups', and 'xpp'.

Have fun. :)

=====
Jesse Becker
GPG-fingerprint:  BD00 7AA4 4483 AFCC 82D0  2720 0083 0931 9A2B 06A2