[UFO Chicago] Openoffice multiple user install

Jesse Becker jesse_becker@yahoo.com
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:26:29 -0700 (PDT)

This is more an OpenOffice question than *nix, but
hopefully someone here can help out...

I have OpenOffice.  It works great when it's installed.
Howevever, I need to do some Strange Things(TM) regarding
the install, and therein lies the problem.

I have a bunch of W2K boxes attached as part of an NT
domain.  I want to install OO, and make it available to
about 200 users that exist within the domain.  I cannot run
OO in a usual 'net' installation since I don't have a
server handy that I can use for this purpose.  Further, I
do not want to use a net installation since OO copies about
2MB of data for each user, and I don't have 400MB to spare.

What I want to do is install OO on each box, and completely
ignore the 'user settings'.  I don't care if users can't
save prefereneces, these are lab computers, and any local
changes are transient anyway.  In fact, if I can take a
single user install, and make it runable for all users,
that would work just fine.

I've tried different variations on installing OO, but none
of them seem to work.  The mailing lists and IRC channels
aren't much help either at the moment.  Anyone have any
ideas or suggestions?

--Jesse