[UFO Chicago] [mike@tuxnami.org: [LUNI] Shall we make them stop?]

Ian Bicking ianb@colorstudy.com
21 Sep 2002 01:22:56 -0500

On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 01:03, Peter A. Peterson II wrote:
> Quoting Larry Garfield:
> > Followup: Yes, DLUG is interested in hosting Red Hat, depending on the
> > time frame.  We're in Lincoln Park, and can be reached by Red, Brown,
> > and Purple CTA lines at the Fullerton stop, so it should be a convenient
> > location for everyone.  Our new Prez has given me the go ahead to
> > contact Red Hat, anyone else object if I tell them DePaul can host for
> > Chicago?
>
> Larry, I think you should get them to stop! And as the CEO of UFO
> Chicago, I authorize you to tell them that we're behind'em too. How
> many splinter-ugs are there in the Chicagoland area? I think we should
> write up a crazy proposal and include all the *UGs that are interested
> in having RH stop -- I'd think the sheer number of groups involved
> would add some credibility.
>
> Are there not any UGs at Northwestern, Loyola, or UoC? Or UIC for that
> matter? That seems like a tragedy to me.

I think to make the argument compelling, you should note that it will
help bring together many feuding UG clans -- each with their own turf,
whose rivalry has torn the city apart.  Chicago is a very violent town,
with a high murder rate, and while no one has clearly linked this to the
proliferation of user groups in the area, it doesn't take a rocket
scientist to put two and two together.  Something must be done!

What we need is a way to bring people from these factions together.
Maybe, just maybe, we can find a common ground for peace.  Before we do
this, though, we have to offer people something that will bring them
together.  Who will play the role of peacemaker?  That's up to RedHat to
decide... are they up to the task?  That's the kind of challenge you
should present to them.

  Ian