[UFO Chicago] Hello all and pressing questions for nonprofit users of Open Source!!!

john stanton stanton@kacschgo.org
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 13:53:39 -0500

Hello all,

And thank you to Allen Turner and Ken Beach for past and present hard
work on this groups behalf. I have a question and an announcement. First
the question:

I have recently been contacted by an IBM rep from the east coast. IBM is
interested in integrating OS into the their national Teaming for
Technology Initiative (you can find the Chicago chapter at
t4tchicago.org ). They have been dialoging with the Non Profit Open
Source Initiative (NOSI.net) about some sort of collaboration aimed
specifically at the nonprofit community. I have assembled some info
about implementations/projects that I know about in local NPO's (non
profit organization's)in Chicago. The list includes:

Chicago Metropolitan Battered Woman's Network
Teen Living
Deborah's Place
Jane Addams Resource Center
Korean American Community Services
Chinese American Service League
People's Resource Center

(I think Michael S was working at Gilda's Club here in Chicago, but I
don't know if they are using Open Source stuff. So let me know Michael).

If you or someone you know is working with an NPO with ANY Open Source
stuff going on, please take a moment to email me with the organization,
the nature of the implementation (if possible) and a contact
person/email or phone number. The more info we have the more support I
think we (the community at large) can garner from IBM.

Second item:

The server is finally in at Deborah's place (%#$$#!!! CDW.) I will let
everybody know very shortly when we can schedule a visit to do install
and firewall.

Third item (I lied about there only being two): If you are working with
an NPO or work for and NPO and you want to get a project done. NOW is
the time to let us know. We are trying to line up our next project.

Thanks again to all. See you soon

John

Community Technology Programs Coordinator
Korean American Community Services
4300 North California Ave.
Chicago IL, 60618-1514
ph: 773.583.5501 x247