[UFO Chicago] static on dsp when screen redraws?

Matthew Sayler sayler@speedsite.com
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 12:58:34 -0500

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 10:35:51AM -0500, Peter A. Peterson II wrote:
> In the reinstall of flynn, I threw in my SBLive! card, and it works
> great, except when the screen is active. When I'm playing a
> video, or even when mozilla redraws -- like when a new page is loaded
> and the whole screen is redrawn -- there is static on the dsp. It
> doesn't sound traditionally "choppy", it's sounds more like static. I
> should test to see if the static is present even when no sound is
> playing... that'd be useful to know.

Sort of talking based on experience and a little knowledge here.

I am betting it is still present.  If so, it's probably just garden
variety RFI.  There would be two things that could cause this:
interferance on the card itself, and interferance that comes with the
external cabling.  That's usually the one that gets me.  If you had a
sound card before and it didn't make the same sounds it's probalby not
cabling.  :-)

One thing that can make noise worse is low output volume on the
soundcard.  If the output is not very loud, a constant noise will
contribute a lot more to S/N.

Or it could be something totally unrelated.

Matt

--
/* Matt Sayler    -- Sr. Network Engineer, Speedsite Online
 * (773) 324-2954 -- sayler@speedsite.com */