[UFO Chicago] Wirelessness in Chicago

Nate Riffe inkblot@movealong.org
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 00:08:27 -0600

Just now Nick Moffitt made 15 LEDs in my apartment flash with this:
> begin  Nate Riffe  quotation:
> > The best way to work within these limitations is to connect the
> > endpoints of point-to-point links via clear line-of-sight paths
> > using highly directional antennas.  That way, the only factor is
> > free space loss, which is the natural fading of a signal the further
> > you are from its source.
>
> 	Mind your fresnel zones!

Bless you, Nick!

The fresnel zone is the egg-shaped area around the line-of-sight.  It
too, should be free of obstructions in order to have a _clear_
line-of-sight.  An obstruction in this zone introduces what is called a
"knife-edge diffraction" which is different from either attenuation or
reflection, but I am not yet familiar with the details of this
phenomenon.

-Nate

--
--< ((\))< >----< inkblot@movealong.org >----< http://www.movealong.org/ >--