[UFO Chicago] CEO's Report for March 14th.

Fri, 15 Mar 2002 01:40:29 -0600

Well folks, it was one month to the day from our fateful Single User
Mode Valentine's Day meeting, and boy did the hordes turn out tonight!

We had 17, count'em 17 people attending, by far the most for a
non-Gulliver's pizza night. The list includes:

1.  yours truly, superpedro
2.  eri[ck]+ the guy with the really long hair
3.  nancy, the lady who used to live in my area
4.  ian bicking in his triumphant return
5.  david, a fundraiser and community organizer*
6.  orion, u of c hacker and rms dinner night dude
7.  jordan bettis of variegated fame
8.  nate riffe of fine michigan stock
9.  elliot shank of free corporate ice cream fame
10. irwin, whose message i gave to mike mccune
11. mike mccune who went to Chicago CS Linux SIG with
12. neil ormos our patent lawyer and compression expert
13. jonathan watterson envoy of the venerable fsf
14. larry garfield, playboy and palm freedom fighter
15. rob latham, semiconducting supercollider
16. eric pement, sed faq author and all-around good guy
17. and that one guy! the one who lives near sawyer and catalpa and
was asking about DSL and came in with eric -- the guy who wants to do
crazy, underground and secretive but LEGAL things with his Dee-Ess-El.

I'm sorry, but I can't remember your name. I'm thinking now it's like,
"John Flagg," or something like that, but that sounds really
super-heroic.

Anyway, it was one fine meeting, and there wasn't even one big
flamewar argument!

Although here's a question someone can look up (but I'll bet Neil
knows this off the top of his head):

Q: What's the name of the track on a train track that runs along side
and then back together, that trains use to pass each other? Is it just
a "sidetrack"? Or is there another name for that? (Hint: It's not
"spur".)

Also a very VERY interesting development is that David (whose last
name I don't recall) came to talk to us and search out our interest
regarding local community wireless projects. He came as a researcher
and representative of his Alderman (do they say "Alderwoman"?
ALDERWOMAN! She can join the Chicago Justice League with Slammin'
Sammy Man, The Great O(prah), Daniel J. Burnham (City Planning Man),
Captain Ebert and Gene Siskel (in the computer).) (Also, I love how
vim is showing me that my parenthesis are matched.)

Anyway, David's ALDERWOMAN! is interested in getting community
wireless going -- and he has the potential backing of some donors and
the governmental credibility that we need to get on top of buildings.
And what's more, he lives within reasonable range of both Elliot and
Nate Riffe. Will the Chicago Wireless Network finally get off the
ground? Will ALDERWOMAN come through in the clinch? Will Nate escape
the clutches of Dr. Chaos and The Springer? Can a pringles can antenna
really hit Galter Medical Pavilion from Uptown? Will our heroes actually
get an antenna on top of the giant black monolith?! Tune in next time,
for,

UFO CHICAGO! [ cue theme music ]

yours,

pedro a. pedroson ii

PS: We really need theme music.

--
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by read'n The few
who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric