Lukas Eklund leklund@tastytronic.net
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:03:14 -0400

Quoting Jordan Bettis:
> She sat down, and clicked on netscape. Oopse, the window didn't appear!
> (It was hidden in that intuitive little bar at the top). So of course,
> Steve Jobs BEAMED the KNOWLEDGE INTO HER HEAD WITH HIS AMAZING INTUITIVER
> RAY, right? Nope, she gave up after about a minute and went off in search
> for a windows machine, because she was used to windows' behavior. The
> really ironic thing is that if that computer were running Gnome or KDE,
> she likely wouldn't have had any trouble using it at all.

Your argument here is that Gnome/KDE==good because it mimics windows,
which is not an argument for overall usability. People are comfortable
with what they have learned. Why didn't you, the high-and-mighty linux
guru, offer to show her how to open a new window? You are such a
condescending prick.

> "How do I type 'for i in *.dvi do xdvi $i done' in a GUI?"
>           -- Anonymous

Well that one's easy. Sort your view by file type, drag the *.dvi
files and drop them on the viewer app. Next please.

> Nether are Helocopter controls. You want to whine about all of the hours
> it takes to get good at flying one of those birds? Or why they don't have
> pretty GUIs designed by Apple to do it?

Another bad analogy and another pointless jab at Apple.

> Configuring servers? Fuck, what about drop down menus for flying those
> hilocopters? Administring computer systems is a PROFESSIONAL activity.
> Do you really want your pilot calling tech support because the thingy
> froze? In fact, I'm GLAD the learning curve for Unix admins is steep,
> it means thats they learned how to administer the machines, they also
> learned how they actually work. That's why the Unix world isn't populated
> by so many brain dead MCSE's trying to point and click their way through
> things they don't bother to understand.

Like I said before, you are such a condescending prick.

--
lukas  | Self-Evident, adj. Evident to one's self and to nobody else.
eklund |    -- Ambrose Bierce