Ian Bicking ianb@colorstudy.com
27 Jun 2002 03:31:05 -0500

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 01:42, Larry Garfield wrote:
> Most FS/OSS programs, to be blunt, suck in the interface department.
> They are inconsistent, incomplete, non-intuitive, and otherwise sub-par
> in most respects.

Except Emacs.  Ahhh... Emacs, how I love thee, let me count the ways...
Consistent interface?  You betcha!  One program, one interface, a thing
of beauty.  Accessible?  Oh yeah, any way you like it: keyboard
shortcuts, mouse, long-form commands, programs... I hear it works well
for the deaf even.  And software support!  You can do everything...
image processing, web browsing, word processing, calculations, an IDE, a
news and mail reader, games, and any tool you could desire.  Everyone
goes on making these other interfaces, and why?  Emacs is the optimal
platform.  The cross platform platform.  Works on a terminal, works in
X, works in Windows... sure it takes time to learn, but so do all good
things.

(of course, I'm writing this from Evolution, but ignore that for now)

  Ian