[UFO Chicago] My DSL Woes...

Wed, 5 Jun 2002 10:01:57 -0500

So,

I called DirecTV yesterday... again. I finally got through to the
supervisor of ATS, who apparently had filed my ticket upstream and
whoever was supposed to get back to him never did... so when he went
to clean up his tickets, he saw mine there.

Anyway, he decided that it was time to solve this once and for all,
and put a guy on the ticket whoe called Worldcom and was trying to
decide if this ticket was "technically feasible" or not. THey were
going to let me know by the end of the day.

I think what saved me is that I told them that I used to have an
intermittent sync issue, but now I have a completely dead line.
Worldcom agreed to come out and test the line at the NID and also at
the endpoint.

So Worldcom showed up today at 9:00 -- (two hours before they said
they would; I had almost left for work), and he tested the line at the
NID. No sync. No tone from the CO (where he had another guy toning
it).

So then he gets out a TDR box and tests the pairs in my NID. The first
pair -- open at 12000 feet, like it should be, back to the CO. My DSL
pair... OPEN AT 82 FEET! That's like, not even back to the street!

This effectively proves that at least the FIRST problem is
ameritech's, and whatever the problem with my pair is (which has been
flakey since day one) may actually have been the intermittent sync
problem from the beginning.

So we're having a "vendor meet" tomorrow -- Ameritech, Worldcom, and
Tastytronic Industries, and hopefully Ameritech will at least
reconnect my pair, or put me on a new one, so that we can at least
continue to try and troubleshoot this problem.

What a mess.

Peter

--
Peter A. Peterson II, technician and musician.
 ---=[ http://tastytronic.net/~pedro/ ]=---