[UFO Chicago] random rant

Ryan ryan@rcnchicago.com
Wed, 05 Jun 2002 07:21:12 -0500

Ok, up for 26 hours trying to find old drivers = good reason to delurk on
random mailing lists & rant!
Ahem.
Did anyone here do the BBS thing? I joined this list after seeing some
slashdot article on how wireless was going to be the next "local" bbs-like
thing, where small communities would grow & happy people would share
bandwidth with their neighbors, etc. Well.. not much of that going on here.
But the idea still intrigues me... despite how much "faster & bigger" the
internet may be, I still think it sucks in terms of community, compared to
the old days. I live in the suburbs, so I don't expect to log into my
neighbor's box, but you guys are all in the city (I take it) - why isn't
there some huge, neo-bbs hobbyist thing going on, where everyone is
interacting with everyone else, on a LOCAL level? The technology doesn't
exist? People don't care? Mailing lists are good enough? etc

I've never met a BBS'er who didn't miss the old days. We must'a been doing
something right..