[UFO Chicago] optimization of OpenGL/SDL

Ian Bicking ianb@colorstudy.com
29 Jul 2002 10:01:46 -0500

On Sun, 2002-07-28 at 23:44, Rob Latham wrote:
> cryptic exerpts:
>
> [0] aragorn:~% glxinfo | grep direct
> direct rendering: Yes
> [0] aragorn:~% grep DRI /var/log/xdm.log
> (II) R128(0): [DRI] installation complete
>
> [0] aragorn:~% grep dri /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
>         Load "dri"
> Section "dri"
> [0] aragorn:~% grep -C dri /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
>         Load  "drm"
>         Load  "glx"
>         Load "dri"
>         Load  "pex5"
>         Load  "record"
> --
> EndSection
>
> Section "dri"
>         Mode 0666
> EndSection
>
> and now some more meager explanations:
> you need kernel support (direct rendering manager, DRM):
> [0] aragorn:~% grep R128 /boot/config-`uname -r`
> CONFIG_DRM_R128=m
>
> for your g200 card, that's CONFIG_DRM_MGA
>
> Configure.help says you need agpgart support too (CONFIG_AGP).  i
> don't have a g200 card, so i'm just the messenger.
>
> I don't remember the gl libraries you need. i set it up a year ago and
> promptly forgot it all :<

I managed to get through this -- it took a long time to figure out that
DRI was in the character devices category.  Then I needed to lower my
resolution, since I didn't have enough memory for DRM.  Then DRM was
turned on, but broken -- it would freeze my display and I had to reboot
to restore it... :(  I tried installing stuff from dri.sf.net, and there
were version conflicts :-/  Now I have to figure out exactly what file
it installed that is causing the conflict (this is why install scripts
suck).  Hmmm... maybe if there's a way to force reinstallation of a
Debian package?

> the other gotcha was the XFree86 color depth. i spent months trying to
> figure out what piece i missed, but in the end it ended up that a
> color depth of 15 ( and not 16) would do the trick.

I'll try 15 -- I have been using 16.  But if that doesn't work, I might
just give up -- I don't really need 3D.

Thanks,
  Ian