[UFO Chicago] Sparcserver Openboot access (Was: another question

Neil R. Ormos ormos@enteract.com
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 08:03:55 -0500 (CDT)

Sean Neakums wrote:

> commence  Sean Neakums  quotation:
> > commence  Peter A. Peterson II  quotation:
> > > I'm trying to install Debian GNU/Linux on an old Sparcserver 1000 --
> > > but I dont' have a Sun monitor or keyboard -- just a tty connected.
> > > How can I access OpenBoot in order to boot from CD?
  [ . . . ]
> According to the Service Manual, the SparcServer 1000 does have an
> OpenBoot PROM, so I don't understand why Break doesn't work.

Some terminals have set-up options to control the behavior
of the break key.  In some cases the break key can be
disabled. In other cases, the action produced when the
break key is pressed can be selected from (a) asserting
space for a short fixed period, or (b) asserting space as
long as the break key is pressed.

Peter, you earlier said you were using a VT320.  The VT320
has an option to disable the break key.  Have you checked
that the break key is enabled?

  <http://vt100.net/docs/vt320-uu/chapter4.html>