[UFO Chicago] what draws you here?

John Kilbourne jkilbour@pol.net
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 23:08:07 -0500 (EST)

I'm curious why people are drawn to go through the trouble of
learning and using linux. (assuming that others share some sense that
it is challenging.)

I remember two things I read between August and October. The first
was a snippet of In the Beginning Was the Command Line by Neil
Stephenson, where he described linux as a free all-terrrain vehicle
that gets 100 miles to the gallon and doesn't break down, and windows
as a kind of plain station wagon that is expensive but has
dealerships on every corner for people who believe in ABC news. It
wasn't till I read The Cathedral and the Bazaar that I decided, "I
want to learn this". Eric Raymond said that learning unix/linux is
one step to gaining some sort of mastery with the computer (along
with learning a few programming languages and some other advice that
I've forgotten now).

I figure that just getting linux to run means I must have learned
some general, useful things about computers. This is self-verifying;
nobody has to tell me that I do or don't know something. When my
email goes primarily to my linux box, that will be one additional,
objective indicator that I've learned something. It was only last
week that I finally got my RH 7.2 configured to access the web
through my DSL (thank you roaring penguin and linuxquestions.org.

So why do you do this at all?