[UFO Chicago] very newbie 'nix question

Elliot Shank clonezne@galumph.com
26 Jan 2002 16:02:02 -0600

On Sat, 2002-01-26 at 15:29, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> begin  John Kilbourne  quotation:
> > Now that I've met you guys and feel comfortable, I can reveal the
> > depths of my true ignorance. I want to move a directory full of files
> > from one place to another. My reading of man mv tells me it only
> > operates on files. How do I move a directory; the files don't have a
> > suffix or other common element in the name.
>
> 	Oh, that's easy!  On Unix/GNU/BSD/Linux/any POSIX system,
> directories *are* files!

Ummm... errmm... while you are quoting ye old platitude about the
"nature" of directories in *NIX filesystems, you are vastly incorrect in
the realm of older *NIX systems.  "In olden days", you could not "mv" a
directory across partitions.  You had to "cp" or "cpio" or "tar" them to
the new location and then "rm" the old ones.