[UFO Chicago] setting up mutt mail

Brian T. Grant brian@skeletonjack.net
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 10:27:31 -0600 (CST)

This is the configuration that I'm running on my Linux box at home:

1)  Postfix for the MTA - http://www.postfix.org/ I have only configured
exim and postfix, so I can't comment on sendmail. I know that the company
I work for -- onShore, Inc. -- is moving away from sendmail to postfix on
the mail servers we set up.

2)  Fetchmail pulls down mail for a couple of outside accounts. I used the
graphical configuration tool fetchmailconf to get it set up, but after
looking at its configuration file, it looks like it would be pretty simple
to configure manually. Then, I run fetchmail in daemon mode to poll those
accounts at regular intervals. The command I run is "fetchmail -d 900"
which throws the process in the background -- it doesn't hog a terminal --
and then polls the configured accounts every 900 senconds.

3)  Procmail filters both the mail that is coming in directly to my mail
server (skeletonjack.net) and the mail being pulled down through
fetchmail. For example, I have all of the UFO Chicago mail sent to
/dev/null. No, actually I have it filtered into
/home/brian/mail/Lists/UFO_Chicago. I had a LOT of trouble configuring
procmail, mostly because the tutorial I was using seemed to have at least
a couple of typos, which negates its usefulness almost entirely. I think
I found what I needed in the man pages.

Brian
---
I'm interesting