[UFO Chicago] New Linux Website

Mike Cathey mpcathey@catt.com
07 Dec 2002 10:30:48 -0500

--=-Pz2cKZpJ+eoegYi0+voN

On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 00:31, Nate Riffe wrote:
> At best, I might describe this as sniping, and I'm going to go out on
> a limb and say that I think that people engage in it because they are
> afraid that their editor of choice might not be The Best Editor In The
> World, but are so steeped in its idiosyncracies that they could never
> try the others to find out.  I'm going to make a comparison to auto
> racing.  Go to the Indianapolis 500 and you'll a couple dozen cars
> that are all basically the same shape and go about the same speed, but
> have engines and other parts made by different manufacturers.  The
> main difference between them is the driver.  Maybe some driver has
> only raced in one car with a particular Ford engine, and he could
> never win a race in a car with a Mercedes engine simply because he
> isn't familiar with its power curve and doesn't know when to switch
> gears.  Maybe there's another guy who's just the opposite.  These two
> guys are exactly analogous to Jordan with Emacs and Jesse with vim.
> Yes, they could probably drive each other's cars, but they could not
> win races in anything other than their own.  Therefore they swear by
> their car, and the engine in it, without even considering the
> possibility that the other engine might be just as good, only
> different.

I completely agree.  For me it's an issue of productivity.  I haven't
had the time necessary to spend on the learning curve of the 'mercedes'
(emacs) because the lower level of productivity while becoming familiar
with it would be too costly at this point.  It's annoying enough when I
catch myself hitting [esc] while composing messages in Evolution. :\

I just moved to Chicago (~10/2002).  I subscribed to the LUNI-D mailing
list before I moved and was kind of worried about the state of the
geekdom here in northern Illinois.  About the only thing I received from
that mailing list was spam--not from others on the list mind you.  In
their defense, there has been some discussion and others have posted
links to some very interesting articles.  I happened to run across this
list a few weeks ago and my hope was renewed!

Hopefully I can make it to the next meeting. :)

Cheers,

Mike
--=20
Mike Cathey - http://www.mikecathey.com/