[UFO Chicago] Fun with Domains

Larry Garfield lgarfiel@students.depaul.edu
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 03:23:01 -0500

OK, so like, check it out.

I have a domain, garfieldtech.com, which is registered through PairNIC,
and managed by their DNS servers.  www.garfieldtech.com is hosted at
Pair Network's servers, on the account I have with them.

They also let me set custom DNS records, so I have home.garfieldtech.com
pointing to the address of my router/NAT.  (I have RCN Cable Internet.)
It works nicely, and with port forwarding no one is the wiser that it's
getting routed to my Linux box, which is running Apache.  (ncurses, now
I've told you!)

Now, back when I was running DNS off of my Linux box itself, rather than
a foreign system, and it had a real IP address instead of a NAT-created
one, I was able, through some means I do not recall at the moment, to
set up path-directing domain names.  That is, stuff.packrat.wox.org went
to /var/www/html/stuff, crap.packrat.wox.org went to /var/www/html/crap,
and so on.

Now, my question is, given my current setup, with foreign DNS hosting
and a NAT in the way, can I still do that sort of setup?  If so, how?
Inquiring minds want to know!

Notes: The custom DNS support is a web front end to create A, CNAME, and
MX records for their system.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
lgarfiel@students.depaul.edu	ICQ: 6817012

-- "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you." :-)