[UFO Chicago] Recommendations Please: ISP with Shell Access

Ian Bicking ianb@colorstudy.com
14 Aug 2002 23:13:13 -0500

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 22:28, Neil R. Ormos wrote:
> RCN/Enteract has announced the elimination of user access to
> its shell machines, so I'm looking for a new ISP.  Any
> recommendations?

I always thought those sorts of services were a bit superfluous to an
ISP.  An ISP just connects you to the internet... things like mail
addresses, web space, and shell accounts should be separate.  Since it's
not the primary focus of the ISP, they usually aren't terribly good at
providing these (except for mail -- but you just get trapped by using
the ISP address, so it's still no good).

  Ian