[UFO Chicago] More on that stupid server...

Ian Bicking ianb@colorstudy.com
06 Aug 2002 01:04:58 -0500

Well, I managed to be logged in while those problems were happening on
the server.  It turns out the drive was being mounted read-only, which
as you can imagine will mess up all the programs that want to write
temporary files or whatever.

I can't figure out why that might be happening.  I think it's due to
some hardware issue on the server, but the hosting place says it's just
a configuration issue.  I think that's bullshit -- but I'm not entirely
sure.

Is there any way a filesystem would get mounted read-only, after
initially being mounted read-write?  I know during bootup that the drive
gets mounted read-only and then remounted read-write.  I suppose it's
possible for it to be remounted back.  But how?  Or why?

I'm not quite ready to give up on the host, but I'd like to be informed
when I contact them.

Thanks much, y'all've been quite helpful so far (are double
concatenations allowed?)...
  Ian