[UFO Chicago] playing around with IMP

Brian T. Grant brian@skeletonjack.net
Mon, 05 Aug 2002 08:20:40 -0500 (CDT)

I run both IMP and SquirrelMail on my mail server. No doubt about it:
SquirrelMail is a lot easier to get installed and working. There is a deb
package for it, and it just worked when I installed it, whereas I found IMP's
installation was a bit more complicated.

If you use MBOX format for new mail, you should have no problem swapping between
mail clients. All you need to do is touch a file called "mbox" in your home
directory and, when a mail client makes a connection through IMAP, it moves all
of the mail from /var/mail/user to the mbox file. I've been running this way for
months now, and I alternate between IMP, pine (I just don't understand what you
see in mutt) and Mail.app on OS X. The only hassle is having to maintain
multiple address books.

I have yet to set up spam filtering. Postfix has built-in filtering that is
fairly easy to set up, from what I understand. We use postfix at work on our
mail gateway and it works like a charm.