[UFO Chicago] Latex font selection

jjbenham@chicagoguitar.com jjbenham@chicagoguitar.com
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 01:54:09 -0500

I have recently been learning how to use latex.  I learned to install and
use some new fonts.  Where can I get a preview of the fonts before I install
them?  I use the freetype fonts in gimp.  I think they are very nice.  I
especially like the dobkin font.  I was looking for around for decorative
but legible fonts.  I found one web page with a large number of fonts.  It
had previews of each one.  I thought this would be a great resource but the
files contain no .sty or anything.  It contained a .afm .inf .pfb and .pfm.
Can I do anything with these?  I searched around on ctan.  Unfortunately the
fonts that are listed in the ctan's font directory are not the same fonts in
my gimp's freetype.

Is there anyway to preview a font before I try and install it?  Where can I
find the same types of fonts for latex that are available to me in gimp's
freetype.  I guess if I have to I can save what I want to write as .eps and
include it in a latex document.  I just thought there was probably a better
way that I just don't know about yet.

Thanks,
Jeremiah