[UFO Chicago] Kernel Fun on thursday anyone?

Sean Neakums sneakums@ufo.chicago.il.us
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 15:12:54 +0100

commence  Robert Moses quotation:

> I believe everything is in order to "make" the kernel.
> I was able to have make config, make dep, make clean and make bzImage
> run/compile w/o any problems -- so I think I have all the headers and
> necessary libraries.

You should also probably make sure that 'make menuconfig' works.
'make config' is horribly unwieldy and linear, whereas it's very easy
to jump around in menuconfig.

For menuconfig to work, you'll need to have the ncurses development
package installed.  It's probably called something like
'libncurses-devel'.

Also useful is 'make oldconfig'; if you are simply upgrading kernels,
just copy your old config file to '.config' in the root of the kernel
source tree, and run 'make oldconfig', which will ask you only about
new options, i.e. options that are not already defined in the .config.

(I've just noticed that all the colours in Gnus are different.
Weird.)

--
Sean Neakums - <sneakums@ufo.chicago.il.us> --- --- -- -
Director of International Operations, UFO Chicago - -- -