[UFO Chicago] Kernel Fun on thursday anyone?

Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:47:19 -0500

Quoting Rob Latham:
> now i'm a bit older than some, and started compiling my kernel in
> 2.0.x when there were much fewer options.  but there is at least
> nominal help for the vast majority of the options, sometimes with urls
> for more information.  take 3 hours and read all the help for anything
> you aren't sure about. read the urls and HOWTOS they point you to.

Rob has a good point -- make menuconfig or make xconfig is good for
this.

> oh, and also the "hm, what does this do" factor. that's important too,
> so don't give up if you configure a couple dud kernels.

Right. Just make sure that you leave a stable kernel entry in your
lilo.conf to fall back to if you need to.

Robert, it would be good for you to at least make sure that your box
is capable of compiling a kernel before tomorrow night, because if you
don't have all the tools, we won't be able to take care of that for
you at George's.

Peter