[UFO Chicago] Maddening PC-Card beeping on laptop/RH7.2

Cymen Vig cvig@raw-io.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:39:55 -0500

Robert Moses wrote:

>(sorry if this appears 2x..i sent w/ my work email....grr)
>
>Evil Beeps (not "peeps") have taken over my machine!
>I have a Dell Latitude CSx500 running RH7.2
>HELP! the PC-Card beeps are driving me nuts.
>How can I disable the beeps when the devices are brought up/down (nic
>and modem)
>(I didn't come across anything in the bios for disabling the beeps.)
>Please help before I go back to using windows!!!! :O

 From the PCMCIA HOWTO:
<http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/doc/PCMCIA-HOWTO-4.html>

"The |cardmgr| daemon is responsible for monitoring PCMCIA sockets,
response to card insertions and removals. It records its actions in the
system log, but also uses beeps to signal card status changes. The tones
of the beeps indicate success or failure of particular configuration
steps. Two high beeps indicate that a card was identified and configured
successfully. A high beep followed by a low beep indicates that a card
was identified, but could not be configured for some reason. One low
beep indicates that a card could not be identified."

man cardmgr and a quick scan reveals:

"-q     Quiet mode: don't beep when cards are inserted."

To change this on my debian (unstable) laptop I would edit
/etc/init.d/pcmcia and change

CARDMGR_OPTS=
CARDMGR_OPTS=-q

If the RedHat PCMCIA init script doesn't have the CARDMGR_OPTS then just
search for the line that starts cardmgr and put it in there...

HTH,
Cymen Vig