[UFO Chicago] Report on Last Night's Meeting

Fri, 9 Nov 2001 14:04:32 -0600

THE MEETING THAT EVERYONE WAS LATE TO
-------------------------------------
    (Except maybe Mike McCune)

So, last night's meeting, I thought was a good success. A little down
on numbers, but we had the new guy, Neal (neale?) who works for
$BIG_ELECTRONICS_FIRM, as well as my laptop woes, a failed attempt at
getting my wireless card to talk with Larry's wireless card (they had
a falling out. Larry's card was going out with other access points,
and my card was jealous). Food was consumed, good times were had.

I believe the roll call for the evening went something like this (not
in any particular order):

Mike McCune, Nate Riffe, Jordan B, Neal the New Guy, Ian Bicking,
Elliot Shankar the wise, Paul Suda, Pete Peterson, Larry Garfield, and
in a triumphant return to the TNIUCNAG stage, Michael "book smart"
Castelle and his Dancing Eigen Vectors!

The tag team of Pedro and Nate took on Apache and CGI in the Latitude
Arena (victory, pedro), but it was a pyrrhic victory, since the
website hardly worked at all with the mickey mouse configuration that
finally worked.

Nonetheless, I'm just about ready to move UFO Chicago over to the
dynamic asciiweb, just for kicks.

That's my report for the meeting. All in all, I had a good time. I
felt like everyone was relaxed and having fun. It's interesting to see
this core group of people shift from being "geeks who see each other
every other week" to friends who can be content just chilling out.

Oh, also. If you think abotu it, let's try to get some good traffic on
this list. We had a good thing going for a little while, but then we
let it sort of drop off; but Michael is right -- some kind of
community outside of the meetings is good, whether we can do that with
the list, or a messageboard, or whatever.

Anyway, I'm going back to work now.

Yours,
Peter

         FREE DMITRY SKLYAROV -- http://www.freesklyarov.org/