[UFO Chicago] Apple hires chief evangelist for FreeBSD

Tue, 26 Jun 2001 12:00:21 -0500

Quoting Peter A. Peterson II:
> So. The question to be answered is: Is Jordan Hubbard whoring himself
> out to Corporate Interests? Or is he making a logical step that could
> help to promote free software? Or is this promotion of free software
> limited in the sense that it's free as long as you're using Apple
> Hardware?

It's a hard question, but I'd start by saying that Apple's trying to
have the cake AND eat it by making Darwin open source, but afaik the GUI
is not. (Anyone know about that?) That's annoying, but possible with the
BSD license. (Can you say Microsoft TCP/IP Stack?)

So I inherently distrust Apple hiring him, and i also inherently dislike
the exploitable nature of the BSD license. I guess it remains to be seen
whether Apple lets him continue (and he as the time/gumption to
continue) working on FreeBSD. It'd be great if somehow his
work/development could be coincidental -- he works on Apple's stuff, and
they let him do his FreeBSD stuff, knowing that allowing him to do that
is ultimately in their best interests.

I wonder what kind of IP contract he had to sign?

pedro

<plug type="obligatory">
"I'm running Debian Stable, so I'm not sure if that made
life any easier for me."
</plug>