[UFO Chicago] Re: [LUNI] Softroad

Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:17:29 -0500

Quoting Nero Wolfe:
> My real questions would center around what kind of wattage can we put out?
> and what kind of gain the antennas will have... and then... how much would
> it cost to set up a node...  Even out of morbid curiosity, even just to
> have internet in my neighborhood :-)

Well, there are apparently a lot of variables that come into account --
for example, whether you're using the antennas omni or unidirectionally,
how high the antennas are, what legal power limits are, etc. Pricewise,
they're not as bad as you might think

Nate Riffe would be a better person to ask about all that. Hopefully UFO
will have a meeting at some point in the near future with a discussion
about this specifically on the docket, with price information and
distances, etc. Another important question is how do you get on top of
tall buildings? I was thinking about the possibility of starting a
not-for-profit organization that approaches building owners with the
proposition for allowing us to use rooftop space that they could
potentially be able to deduct as a donation (especially if they already
lease space to cellular companies). I'd need to talk to a tax lawyer
about this, of course. Who knows, maybe some companies would even donate
equipment. (Probably not, with the current economy though.)

pedro

<plug type="obligatory">
"I'm running Debian Stable, so I'm not sure if that made
life any easier for me."
</plug>