[UFO Chicago] Enduser Journal #2

Thomas thomas@chicagomac.com
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 16:24:57 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C0FA6E.B6427890

ok, we have a name (at least for the moment), so how about some =
content...

This post in summary: (decide now if you want to read it)

What I'm working on (installing Yellow Dog Linux on a "Wallstreet" =
Macintosh G3 PowerBook)
Steps taken (set up for install and the install itself)
First boot (um... first boot)
System Update (or not)
Reinstalling Linux with fingers crossed
Thoughts

Well, I received a copy of Yellow Dog Linux 2.0 today so that's a good =
place to start.  This distribution is aimed at the Macintosh hardware =
market, and since that's pretty much what I use it seemed like it was =
worth a look.  I've played around a little bit with Suse 7.1 PPC and =
LinuxPPC before, but nothing serious.  The default kernel is 2.2.x with =
2.4.x included.  After it's completely installed I'll be a little more =
specific about the kernel.  It also supports RPM, but I don't know if =
it's actually based on RedHat.  I believe the latest version of LinuxPPC =
was based on RedHat 6.2 but I could be wrong.

I'm at work with my PowerBook and some time on my hands, so this is what =
I'm going to try the install on first.  Since time isn't an issue I've =
decided to format my drive and start from scratch.
Since I plan on also reinstalling MacOSX and my PowerBook falls under =
the Mac hardware
heading of "old world" there are also a few basic things I need to be =
aware of, not unlike any version of any system.

I need to use the BootX loader, sort of a lilo boot loader, but it comes =
up after part of the boot
process into MacOS 9.

MacOSX needs to be in the first 8GB of my hard drive.  This is only a =
limit on older non-USB
machines.  Since I want the first partition to be around 500MB for a =
slimmed down system to
let me boot into Linux that means OSX will have to be next and have =
around 7.5GB formatted
as HFS+.  Next is going to be an 8GB or so HFS partition for generic =
use/storage.  Then comes
the Linux bits... I'm not going to worry a lot about the partitions for =
this right now, just a / and a swap. =20

Formatting done I install a very slim, barebones OS 9.1 on the first =
partition.  No problem there.  The very sparse Manuel (not too thrilled =
about that) says that if the volume to run the install on is titled =
"Macintosh HD" then the completed install will know where to find the =
Linux kernel, other wise I'll be prompted for the location.  Easier to =
just change it now.=20

I put in the first YDL cd and open the "install" folder and hit my first =
snag... the installer itself is compressed and I didn't install anything =
to uncompress it with.  Easy enough to fix, I just copy the file to =
another Mac uncompress and copy that back.  It does make me wonder just =
why they did that though...

Installer runs and places little bits in the Mac system folder, like the =
BootX extension and a folder for kernels.  I reboot at the prompt and =
the system comes up in Linux to the actual Linux install.  First choice =
is "default" or "custom" installs and I choose custom.  Choices are =
presented but nothing I would really call "custom" other than the basic =
language (English, Spanish, German and some others) keyboard, mouse (ADB =
or USB, but nothing for 1,2,or 3 button), best choices for each are =
highlighted and they were all what I would have chosen.  I'm then =
presented with mount points and it turns out I need to reformat / but =
the installer lets me do it without quitting so I set the mount point =
for / and the two Mac volumes I'd like Linux to see (/mac/storage and =
/mac/gate), ignoring the volume OSX will be on.

Then the choice that would probably annoy most Linux users... I get a =
choice or "package types" to install, but no obvious option to pick the =
individual packages.  I can pick "default", "home/office", "developer", =
"network/server", or "full".  I opt for "home/office" figuring that's my =
best start, and off it goes...

While I wait, I have to mention that although all I've seen so far is =
type and boxes, the graphics are very clear and sharp and the color is =
good.  Since I work in printing this is pretty important and Suse 7.1 on =
this same machine seemed to be missing something.  I imagine that these =
guys have probably worked a little harder to tweak the video settings =
for the Macs likely to be used.  Or it could be just luck.

Well, the install is done.  It reportedly failed at the end and gave me =
the option to abort or continue with possible errors anyway.  I went for =
continue and it barked a few errors, I think about python, and then =
rebooted.  I set the parameters on the mac side and booted into Linux.  =
I logged into KDE as root and attempted to run the Yellow Dog Update =
Program or yup and got hit with a list of options so I decided to quit =
for the moment and logged in again as a regular user.  It seems a little =
slower than Suse, but it's hard to tell at the moment.  Attempting to =
run "yup" (which I should of mentioned needs to be done from a terminal =
since I can find no graphical version) now results in a "not found" =
error... turns out to be a root only program (no su either).  So back as =
root I try "yup update" which should update all installed packages and =
it's running as I type this.  Not quite as nice as the yast2 program in =
Suse, but it seems to be working. =20

Well, 45 minutes later it still "seemed" to be working on an update, but =
not much was happening so I quit the session and went into console mode =
and an trying it again.  Once again it seems to be working and I'll let =
it go for a while.

And then it timed out and complained about things not being found....

So back to the install step but this time I chose the "everything" =
option in the install, and before I started I reformed the / partition =
into a / of around 7.6 GB and a /usr of 4 BG.  The manual says =
"everything" requires a "generous" root and, if /usr was created =
separately a 2 GB /usr... I should be fine.

If I had to guess about the problem I was having... well it seems the =
"yup" is python and the "home/work" install probably neglected to =
install the right packages.  Since I did pay for this, along with a bit =
extra for installation support (and by bit I mean double), I do intend =
to bug the tech support people at Terra Soft (the makers, or at least =
distributors) until I'm happy.

That will wrap it up for today boys and... are there any girls in UFO? =
Anyway folks more on the fun and joy of becoming a User of Free =
Opperatingsystems tomorrow.  I'll have a report of how the install went =
on the PowerBook and on my Cube.

Tom

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C0FA6E.B6427890

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>ok, we have a name (at least for the =
moment), so=20
how about some content...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This post in summary: (decide now if =
you want to=20
read it)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>What I'm working on (installing Yellow =
Dog Linux on=20
a "Wallstreet" Macintosh G3 PowerBook)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Steps taken (set up for install and the =
install=20
itself)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>First boot (um... first =
boot)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>System Update (or not)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Reinstalling Linux with fingers=20
crossed</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thoughts</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Well, I received a copy of Yellow Dog =
Linux 2.0=20
today so that's a good place to start.&nbsp; This distribution is aimed =
at the=20
Macintosh hardware market, and since that's pretty much what I use it =
seemed=20
like it was worth a look.&nbsp; I've played around a little bit with =
Suse 7.1=20
PPC and LinuxPPC before, but nothing serious.&nbsp; The default kernel =
is 2.2.x=20
with 2.4.x included.&nbsp; After it's completely installed I'll be a =
little more=20
specific about the kernel.&nbsp; It also supports RPM, but I don't know =
if it's=20
actually based on RedHat.&nbsp; I believe the latest version of LinuxPPC =
was=20
based on RedHat 6.2 but I could be wrong.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm at work with my PowerBook and some =
time on my=20
hands, so this is what I'm going to try the install on first.&nbsp; =
Since time=20
isn't an issue I've decided to format my drive and start from=20
scratch.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Since I plan on also reinstalling =
MacOSX and my=20
PowerBook falls under the Mac hardware<BR>heading of "old =
world"&nbsp;there are=20
also a few basic things I need to be aware of, not unlike any version of =
any=20
system.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR>I need to use the BootX loader, =
sort of a lilo=20
boot loader, but it comes up after part of the boot<BR>process into =
MacOS=20
9.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>MacOSX needs to be in the first 8GB of =
my hard=20
drive.&nbsp; This is only a limit on older non-USB<BR>machines.&nbsp; =
Since I=20
want the first partition to be around 500MB for a slimmed down system =
to<BR>let=20
me boot into Linux that means OSX will have to be next and have around =
7.5GB=20
formatted<BR>as HFS+.&nbsp; Next is going to be an 8GB or so HFS =
partition for=20
generic use/storage.&nbsp; Then comes<BR>the Linux bits... I'm not going =
to=20
worry a lot about the partitions for this right now, just a / and a =
swap.&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Formatting done I install a very slim, =
barebones OS=20
9.1 on the first partition.&nbsp; No problem there.&nbsp; The very =
sparse Manuel=20
(not too thrilled about that) says that if the volume to run the install =
on is=20
titled "Macintosh HD" then the completed install will know where to find =
the=20
Linux kernel, other wise I'll be prompted for the location.&nbsp; Easier =
to just=20
change it now. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I put in the first YDL cd and open the =
"install"=20
folder and hit my first snag... the installer itself is compressed and I =
didn't=20
install anything to uncompress it with.&nbsp; Easy enough to fix, I just =
copy=20
the file to another Mac uncompress and copy that back.&nbsp; It does =
make me=20
wonder just why they did that though...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Installer runs and places little bits =
in the Mac=20
system folder, like the BootX extension and a folder for kernels.&nbsp; =
I reboot=20
at the prompt and the system comes up in Linux to the actual Linux=20
install.&nbsp; First choice is "default" or "custom" installs and I =
choose=20
custom.&nbsp; Choices are presented but nothing I would really call =
"custom"=20
other than the basic language (English, Spanish, German and some others) =

keyboard, mouse (ADB or USB, but nothing for 1,2,or 3 button), best =
choices for=20
each are highlighted and they were all what I would have chosen.&nbsp; =
I'm then=20
presented with mount points and it turns out I need to reformat / but =
the=20
installer lets me do it without quitting so I set the mount point for / =
and the=20
two Mac volumes I'd like Linux to see (/mac/storage and /mac/gate), =
ignoring the=20
volume OSX will be on.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Then the choice that would probably =
annoy most=20
Linux users... I get a choice or "package types" to install, but no =
obvious=20
option to pick the individual packages.&nbsp; I can pick "default",=20
"home/office", "developer", "network/server", or "full".&nbsp; I opt for =

"home/office" figuring that's my best start, and off it =
goes...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>While I wait, I have to mention that =
although all=20
I've seen so far is type and boxes, the graphics are very clear and =
sharp and=20
the color is good.&nbsp; Since I work in printing this is pretty =
important and=20
Suse 7.1 on this same machine seemed to be missing =
something.&nbsp;&nbsp;I=20
imagine that these guys have probably worked a little harder to tweak =
the video=20
settings for the Macs likely to be used.&nbsp; Or it could be just=20
luck.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Well, the install is done.&nbsp; It =
reportedly=20
failed at the end and gave me the option to abort or continue with =
possible=20
errors anyway.&nbsp; I went for continue and it barked a few errors, I =
think=20
about python, and then rebooted.&nbsp; I set the parameters on the mac =
side and=20
booted into Linux.&nbsp;&nbsp;I logged into KDE as root and attempted to =
run the=20
Yellow Dog Update Program or yup and got hit with a list of options so I =
decided=20
to quit for the moment and logged in again as a regular user.&nbsp; It =
seems a=20
little slower than Suse, but it's hard to tell at the moment.&nbsp; =
Attempting=20
to run "yup" (which I should of mentioned needs to be done from a =
terminal since=20
I can find no graphical version) now results in a "not found" error... =
turns out=20
to be a root only program (no su either).&nbsp; So back as root I try =
"yup=20
update"&nbsp;which should update all installed packages and it's running =
as I=20
type this.&nbsp; Not quite as nice as the yast2 program in Suse, but it =
seems to=20
be working.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Well, 45 minutes later it still =
"seemed" to be=20
working on an update, but not much was happening so I quit the session =
and went=20
into console mode and an trying it again.&nbsp; Once again it seems to =
be=20
working and I'll let it go for a while.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>And then it timed out and complained =
about things=20
not being found....</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So back to the install step but this =
time I chose=20
the "everything" option in the install, and before I started I reformed =
the /=20
partition into a / of around 7.6 GB and a /usr of 4 BG.&nbsp; The manual =
says=20
"everything" requires a "generous" root and, if /usr was created =
separately a 2=20
GB /usr... I should be fine.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If I had to guess about the problem I =
was having...=20
well it seems the "yup" is python and the "home/work" install probably =
neglected=20
to install the right packages.&nbsp; Since I did pay for this, along =
with a bit=20
extra for installation support (and by bit I mean double), I do intend =
to bug=20
the tech support people at Terra Soft (the makers, or at least =
distributors)=20
until I'm happy.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>That will wrap it up for today boys =
and... are=20
there any girls in UFO? Anyway folks more on the fun and joy of becoming =
a User=20
of Free Opperatingsystems tomorrow.&nbsp; I'll have a report of how the =
install=20
went on the PowerBook and on my Cube.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tom</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C0FA6E.B6427890--