[UFO Chicago] Re: [free-sklyarov] -- OFFICIAL CHICAGO PROTEST INFORMATION --

Larry Garfield lgarfiel@students.depaul.edu
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 18:33:45 -0500

Len Sassaman wrote:

> I'm not going to tell the Chicago folks how to run their protest, but let
> me state that I firmly believe that the FBI and DoJ are in the wrong in
> this case. Dmitry should never have been arrested. *If* this is an actual
> DMCA violation, it would be Elcomsoft that is to blame, not Dmitry.
>
> The FBI screwed up. Again. This is nothing new.

Maybe, but I'd say the people who screwed up in the first place are Congress
for passing the bloody thing in the first place.  And the only ones who can
get rid of the DMCA are Congress and the Supreme Court.  I'm not going to hold
my breath for our current Justices, frankly.

If you can get to talking with people, do so.  If you can get them interested,
do so.  If you can get them wanting to do something about it, give them the
following addresses:

Senator Dick Durbin
Kluczynski Bldg. 38th Fl.
230 South Dearborn
Chicago, IL 60604
Phone: (312) 353-4952
Fax (312)353-0150

Senator Peter Fitzgerald
230 S. Dearborn #3900
Chicago, IL 60604
(312) 886-3506

Senator Dick Durban has stated that most congressional offices begin to take
serious interest in an issue when they receive TEN letters on the subject.
(The assumption being that for every person who wrote it, there are 1000 who
feel the same way but were too lazy to write.)  In the long run, we will need
lawmakers on our side.  Start making waves now.  Bring addresses on palm cards
or slips of paper, in case you can convince people to do something themselves.

--
Larry Garfield
lgarfiel@students.depaul.edu

Do you have a PalmOS Organizer?  Click here to add me to your address book:
http://signature.coola.com/?lgarfiel@students.depaul.edu

-- "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you." :-)