[UFO Chicago] sudo exploit

Wed, 18 Jul 2001 16:05:00 -0500

Quoting Nick Moffitt:
> begin  Peter A. Peterson II quotation:
> > So maybe I'm a wuss for saying that I like the safety catch that
>
> 	On a system with only one admin, sudo may in fact be overkill.
> Unless you need to do things like grant other users the ability to run
> the newlist command and nothing else, it may not be worth the risk.  I
> find that it generally is worth the risk.

I really like being able to say "sudo newlist" or "sudo chmod" without
having to open a root shell that, knowing me, I will forget and leave
open. I realize that's not exactly a compliment to myself -- and maybe
other folks know that would never be an issue for them. But for me,
having that ease of access with the addition of that "security" (not
leaving a shell open), it's a winner. Plus, it's really nice to be able
to grant others root access while being able to retain the actual root
power for yourself.  (Especially on a box that provides services to
others when you might be unavailable to help.)

pedro

Peter A. Peterson II, CEO Users of Free Operating Systems, Chicago USA
http://ufo.chicago.il.us -- Free Software Rules -- Proprietary Drools!