[UFO Chicago] hardware

Thomas thomas@chicagomac.com
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:17:47 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01C10ACC.A9365180

Ok, this is going to touch on a potential sticky issue... but I love the =
UFO tradition of tossing out ideas for comment/consideration.

I like the idea of a hardware "swap" but I'm afraid of hoarding. Not =
something I'm worried about with the current group, but I'd hate to see =
someone grabbing up a bunch of things they'll never use just because it =
looks good.  Like I said, this doesn't really worry me, but what about =
setting an arbitrary amount- say a dollar - for anything taken, with =
proceeds to go to UFO projects?

Ok, the problems I see with this are:
1. It'd have to be on the honor system, because who wants to deal with =
tracking it?
2. UFO receiving money may be not such a great idea...
3. Returns of things that didn't work out?  Money back or take on your =
own risk?
4. There must be a 4, 5, 6, etc.

I don't endorse this concept, just tossing it out for everyone to chew =
on.

Tom

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01C10ACC.A9365180

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ok, this is going to touch on a =
potential sticky=20
issue... but I love the UFO tradition of tossing out ideas for=20
comment/consideration.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I like the idea of a hardware "swap" =
but I'm afraid=20
of hoarding. Not something I'm worried about with the current group, but =
I'd=20
hate to see someone grabbing up a bunch of things they'll never use just =
because=20
it looks good.&nbsp; Like I said, this doesn't really worry me, but what =
about=20
setting an arbitrary amount- say a dollar - for anything taken, with =
proceeds to=20
go to UFO projects?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ok, the problems I see with this =
are:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1. It'd have to be on the honor system, =
because who=20
wants to deal with tracking it?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2. UFO receiving money may be not such =
a great=20
idea...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3. Returns of things that didn't work =
out?&nbsp;=20
Money back or take on your own risk?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>4. There must be a 4, 5, 6, =
etc.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I don't endorse this concept, just =
tossing it out=20
for everyone to chew on.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tom</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01C10ACC.A9365180--