[UFO Chicago] kernel building, quick and dirty

Mon, 2 Jul 2001 16:03:31 -0500

Quoting Peter A. Peterson II:
> WHat happens?

You might have to install slang, or menuconfig or soemthing. Look at the
error messages and then use apt-cache search <foobar> to see the
filename. THen try apt-cache show <bash> to see the blurb on the
package. You'll probably have to install the bin86 binary at somepoint,
and i'm not sure what package that's in. But that's good, because you
can look for it:

apt-cache search bin86 (shows any packages with bin86 in the blurb)
apt-cache show packagename to show you what package actually contains
bin86. (bin86 is an assembler compiler, fyi).

You might have to install other packages for compilation as we go along.

Once you do make menuconfig and set everything the way you like it (use
the HELP function A LOT, it's very good), exit out, saving your
configuration (it will ask you), and then do:

make dep
make clean
make bzImage

These three steps will probably not go smoothly the first time, but
that's why I told you all that other garbage up there.

THen, once you get through that, do

make modules
and then
make modules_install (or maybe it's modules-install, i don't know, and
this is the quick and dirty version).

NEXT: PLAYING WITH LILO (AND NOT GETTING YOUR EYE POKED OUT)!

pedro