[UFO Chicago] TRON Special Edition 20th Anniversary DVD

Larry Garfield lgarfiel@students.depaul.edu
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 02:44:11 -0600

My turn to ramble....

"Peter A. Peterson II" wrote:

> But seriously, if DVDs were $5 and movie tickets were $3, would the
> entertainment industry be able to do the things that it can do with
> the revenue it has? In some ways, that question is saying, "Would the
> entertainment industry be able to churn out as much festering bilge as
> they are now?" BUt it's also saying, "Would they be able to invest in
> such projects as X and Y that we all enjoyed so much?"
>
> And what is the appropriate plan? Should we pay $15 for a movie ticket
> (until the studio has recouped, at which point admission is fixed as
> per the cost of rental at that movie theatre) and a haypenny
> for a movie rental (still brutal extortion) and $5 for a DVD? And a
> nickel per bag of popcorn and coffee at diners should be practically
> free? If DVDs only cost $5, everyone would have every DVD they ever
> wanted, which would mean that we'd all have massive video libraries,
> and so in a way the somewhat prohibitave cost creates a balance.

This is a very common response to the "prices are too high" argument for
anything.  "If they were too high, people wouldn't buy them.  The Market
has created equilibrium where it belongs, because that's what The Market
does."  The problem is, it's a non-falisifiable statement.

Q: How do you know the price is at its socially optimal level?