[UFO Chicago] TRON Special Edition 20th Anniversary DVD

Jordan Bettis jordanb@hafd.org
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 21:34:04 -0600

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 07:05:12PM -0600, Nate Riffe wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2001, Jack Beglinger wrote:
>=20
> > Now if you have hard time about buying a DVD...
> >=20
> > What about software on CD?   Or Music?  =20
> =20
> A person who refuses to buy DVDs on principle should have no problem with
> either of those.  For instance, I don't buy software at all.  Also, in the
> last two years I've aquired four CDs.  Two years ago I bought one used,
> I've received two as gifts, and I bought one at the show directly from the
> group.  I think that a willingness to give up any one of these three
> things on account of industry politics implies a willingness to give up
> the other two.  Anything less would be hypocritical.

I think people should take the political stand with which they are most
comfortable. You're not going to endear allot of people to your cause
by telling them that they must go all the way, 100%, or they are
hypocrites.

There are many shades of grey with everything, and there are many levels
of commitment. People aren't hypocrites simply because they're not as
committed as you are to a cause. In fact, I think it's great even if
people simply acknowledge that something is a problem, even if they make
no conscious effort to fix it. It's even more great if they become
committed to a cause, but I'll take what I can get.

About me: I can not recall _ever_ buying a AD, same for DVDs. I own
very few VHS tapes and most of them were gifts. I do what Richard
Stallman says, and only see a movie at the theater if I have some=20
compelling reason to believe that it will be good. I haven't bought
any proprietary software for the past three years, and go to great
pains to avoid using any non-free software.

I will explain to people why I chose to make those sacrifices and hope
they will join me in at least a few of them, but I'd never call them
hypocrites for not doing so. That's a very powerful word, one which should
only be wielded with great care.=20

> I will buy movies and music again when I am not encumbered to do only
> those things that the intellectual property owners want me to do.  When I
> obey the law, it will be because I choose to, not because I am forced to.

That's an outstanding principle, and the more people who decide to follow
it, even in part, the better.

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ--