[UFO Chicago] APM on sid

Elliot Shank clonezne@galumph.com
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 22:59:09 -0500

Fawad Halim wrote:
> 1. Why does Mandrake power down while Debian doesn't.

Interesting related note: RH6.2 automatically powered off on halt(8).
RH7.1 does not.  Yet, if I select the "Halt" option from the Gnome log
out dialog, the machine /is/ powered off.  I've been wondering at this
for a while but your email prompted me to look at the halt man page,
which I hereby quote:

NAME
       halt, reboot, poweroff - stop the system.

SYNOPSIS
       /sbin/halt [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] [-p]
       /sbin/reboot [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i]
       /sbin/poweroff [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i]

DESCRIPTION
       Halt notes that the system is being brought down
       in the file /var/log/wtmp, and then either tells
       the kernel to halt, reboot or poweroff the system.
       If halt or reboot is called when the system is not
       in runlevel 0 or 6, shutdown(8) will be invoked
       instead (with the flag -h or -r).

OPTIONS
[sniped for brevity]
       -p     When halting the system, do a poweroff.
              This is the default when halt is called as
              poweroff.
[snip again]

NOTES
       Under older sysvinit releases, reboot and halt
       should never be called directly. From release 2.74
       on halt and reboot invoke shutdown(8) if the system
       is not in runlevel 0 or 6. This means that if halt
       or reboot cannot find out the current runlevel
       (for example, when /var/run/utmp hasn't been
       initialized correctly) shutdown will be called,
       which might not be what you want.  Use the -f flag
       if you want to do a hard halt or reboot.

So, I'm thinking I ought to try out the poweroff variant...

Mmmmmmm... I'm liking that -n option.  NOT!  I don't see what use that
option is for other than testing fsck.

> 2. How do I find out what compilation options the
> mandrake folks used to compile their kernel?

Not that it helps your situation, but RedHat has started including all
their configs for their kernels:

~
elliot@nil 3 10:54:12 0> l --width=70 /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs
kernel-2.4.3-athlon-smp.config  kernel-2.4.3-i586-smp.config
kernel-2.4.3-athlon.config      kernel-2.4.3-i586.config
kernel-2.4.3-i386-BOOT.config   kernel-2.4.3-i686-enterprise.config
kernel-2.4.3-i386-smp.config    kernel-2.4.3-i686-smp.config
kernel-2.4.3-i386.config        kernel-2.4.3-i686.config