[UFO Chicago] TNIUCNAG Report 4/12

Jack Edwards edwardsj@tastytronic.net
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 01:13:59 -0500

Thursday Night Was UFO Chicago Night at Georges!

Well, the night started out a little later than normal tonight because I
had late class, and Peter had a committment elsewhere. I walked into
Georges at around 9:15, and met the official UFO Chicago Guest Of The
Night: Ben! This title is his by default, as only the two of us were
present, and being the writer of this message, I'm certainly not going
to nominate myself.

Ben talked about his work with linux at Loyola University, and some of
the cool things that he's been doing there. Of particular interest to me
was how they had replaced their Exchange server with with a Linux
solution. Which is something we talk about doing here at North Park.

We discussed the different linux package management utilities,
Ben is a big fan of RedHat's rpm, while I stuck to my guns on apt. I
also explained a little about FreeBSD's ports collection, and my recent
efforts to create a simple, working port (I'll notify the list if I ever
do actually get it working).

Also considered was the future of the group, and ways to attract new
members. This was hard not to talk about considering the less than
spectacular attendance tonight. It seems Peter and I need to get going
on poster detail again. I also need to get started on creating a
computer club here at North Park, so that UFO could use it as a front to
meet in a classroom and hold presentations, or perhaps InstallFests.

Well, I guess that about does it, wraps 'er all up. The next meeting is
on April 26th at George's. I hope to see some more people there. I'll
try to get some more posters up. Take care.
-jack