[sklyarov-chicago] [alphageek@mediaone.net: RE: [free-sklyarov] Chicago Protest Report]

Vitaly McLain vitalym@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 12:32:13 -0500

*yawn* Something about the protest made me tired, I am still not awake. But
it was definatley worth it. Anyway...

> > 2) What spaces are definitely public?
>
> I don't know. I think most sidewalks are though, even in front of
> buildings.

I was on Adams, near Clark, passing out fliers. A security guard came up and
told me that I couldn't do that without a permit because it was federal
property, but he said that it's OK on the actual street corner (Adams &
Clark) because those are city property. (As a side note, the guy was really
nice about it, so don't let "encounters with security" scare anyone from
protesting.) Something to think about, I guess. As far as non-federal
buildings, some have markings on the ground where their property ends. Most
buildings, it seems, own some propety outside of the physical building: just
look at signs that say "No smoking with 10 feet of this building."

Free Dmitry ("Svabodu dimitriyu"),
Vitaly McLain
vitaly@ix.netcom.com