[sklyarov-chicago] July 30th Protest

Sean D. Francis sdf2008@stygianlabyrinth.com
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 13:24:31 -0500

I wasn't present for the first protest, but I felt today's went pretty
good.  There was a lot of interaction with the public, which I think is
our strongest weapon.  Creating awareness is the first step in creating
action.

Action is where I think we fall a little short.  The new flyers with the
address of Durbin and Fitzgerald on them, but in the spirit of 'silver
platter service' we should come up with a solid non-reactionary, sample
letter for the people to send in.  My thought is to reproduce about 100
form letters that people can simply sign and mail, if they really don't
want to go to too much effort.  The easier we can make it for people to
express their concern about Dmitry's case, we'll have more people
expressing their concern.

Additionally, since we seem to be having some problems getting media
coverage, we could also have sample letters to the editor.

In the spirit of the 'continuing protest' make sure you take any spare
flyers and put them up on public bulletin boards (coffee shops sometimes
have these, as does Whole Foods ask permission first).