[sklyarov-chicago] Legal addition to flyers

Igor Matlin legalalien@runbox.com
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 08:46:33 -0500

> Cool! I might say something like, "photocopy or redistribute" since that
> is clearly illegal if the information is copyrighted. Are Terms of Use
> viloations covered in the DMCA?

My understanding is that "Terms of Use" is a concept unique to software.
Copyright law allows software to have tighter restrictions than other
published works (e.g., "first sale doctrine" is different for software),
however, "terms of use", EULA, etc. are typically outside of the copyright
law.

I'm not a lawyer thought. My interpretation is based on reading the
"Copyright Primer" by The American Law Institute and I. Fred Koenigsberg
(link is on Sklyarov Chicago web site
http://two-bit.ufo.chicago.il.us/free-sklyarov/).

ttyl,

-Ig.