[sklyarov-chicago] Protest Organization

Sat, 28 Jul 2001 02:18:33 -0500

Quoting dada:
> I don't like the CONSUMERS HAVE NO RIGHTS banners.

Agreed. In fact, SF (where i handed out a couple hundred fliers today)
is focusing almost totally exclusively on Dmitry's plight and then only
subsequently dealing with the DMCA and/or adobe, etc. This is because
when we use Dmitry as a poster boy for what's wrong with the dmca, we
look like we're using him to protect our rights to steal copyurioghted
material, which is not the case. I somewhat agree with that -- that we
should stil to Free Dmitry, and the "russians are freer" and skip the
DMCA posters, but that we should be very free to discuss things like the
DMCA, felten, and teh 2600 case when they arise.

How do others feel about this? I think it can really unify our front and
make a more emotional appeal that leaves less room for people to examine
our "ulterior motives".

Incidentally, a regular anti-DMCA protest should happen even after
Dmitry is free.

pedro