[sklyarov-chicago] Protest Organization

Michael Cannon korbomite@yahoo.com
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 16:08:18 -0700 (PDT)

Answer inline
--- Laurence O Garfield <lgarfiel@students.depaul.edu>
wrote:
> Unless of course you look like a group of whacko
> neo-commie hippies who
> haven't noticed that the 60s are long over.  That
> only serves to hurt your
> own cause.  You want people to have a GOOD
> unconscious image of you and
> whatever your cause is.  If you play into the
> stereotype of left wing
> anarchists with no real purpose in life except to
> whine about things, then
> that is exactly what people will think of you, and
> they will dismiss you
> out of hand.
>
> --Larry Garfield

GRRRR...oh, well, Momma said if you don't have
anything good to say, don't say anything at all...and,
Larry, I didn't resort to name-calling...is
'neo-communist ex-hippy' to point out that the
korportions of America OWN this country now and tht we
count for nothing?

BTW, I'm a registered Republican.  Voted for McCain.
Both times.

Now, on to the 'something nice.'  The major threat to
the man in the street is that things that they do now,
that are 'assumed' rights are not rights at all and
that, as laws change, they criminalize behaviour.  A
classic example is the history of drug laws in this
countrey, another is the DMCA and its effect on
current and future technology use.

Why this aversion to putting the blame where it
belongs?  The corporate interests of this country
drive the politics and legal structure.  It was true
in the time of the Haymarket riots, it is more true
now.  The DMCA was passed by and for the corporate
interests.  If you don't like it, realize the reality
of the situation:  to repeal it, you must fight the
corporate interests.  If you don't want repeal, and
you don't want to hold the people responsible for
Dmitry's arrest RESPONSIBLE FOR DMITRY'S ARREST, then
what are we protesting?

Goals need to be set NOW, be made unchanging and
clear.  The current international goals seem to be:
1.  Boycott Adobe - the site is still alive - that is
one group, allied with the namesake goal of this group
2.  Defeat Mueller - somewhat deprecated, but ditto
the above in essence
3.  EFF - their goals are bureaucratic ones and they
have their own agenda : repeal of the DMCA, among
other things...follow the links
4.  EPIC - ditto above, and more
5.  Free Sklyarov - easiest to understand, our
namesake...most moral position...except we're allied,
based on the international movement with all the
above...and slashdot, and cryptome and...well, you get
the idea.

Just a some thoughts from a guy who does this
(marketing/sales of technology) for a living...and has
been pretty damn successful...

You can only be successful with the public if you get
their attention  and WAKE THEM UP....

Mike