[sklyarov-chicago] A Reply to the AAP

Phillip J. Birmingham phillip@bigscary.com
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:54:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Michael Cannon wrote:

> Former Congresswoman Patricia Schroeder (D-CO) now
> runs a little outfit called the American Association
> of Publishers (http://www.publishers.org).  They

	["Raaaaaawwwww" howls the Chainsaw of Elision]

	I read about this in Wired and nearly hit the roof when I found
out that IEEE and the ACM are both members of the AAP.  I sent a message
to the IEEE (of which I am a member) asking them if they thought this was
a good use of IEE dues, considering that IEEE co-authored a letter to
Congress expressing concerns about the anti-circumvention provisions of
the DMCA.

	No response yet from IEEE, just a canned response from the AAP
under Pat Schroeder's name with the old "keys to a bookstore" chestnut.

	It probably won't make a big difference, but if any of you are ACM
or IEEE members, drop a line.  The less support these lobbying groups have
from the supposed representatives of the technical professions, the
better.

	Regards,
	Phillip