[sklyarov-chicago] deciding our issues (was: from Adobe)

Igor Matlin legalalien@runbox.com
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:35:50 -0500

> I, too, think that our goals must be clearly related in the minds of our
> audience, and Adobe is somewhat of a small corner of our argument against
> the DMCA.  Adobe is obviously tried to Sklyarov's arrest, but it's not by
> an easily summarized line of reasoning which we could capture in the time
> a pedestrian is talking with us.

I agree that the action on the street should currently be limited to
anti-DMCA and Sklyarov's release.  However, street protest is not the only
action we can take.  Being active online, for example, does not involve
explaining why Adobe is evil to an average Chicagoan.  There are ways to
keep pressure on Adobe *without* dilluting our message during street action.

> In fact, let's play a game of Survivor with our issues.  Round one, name
> all the specific issues that are related to our protest:
>
> 1) Sklyarov's arrest/detainment
> 2) the DMCA harms society
> 3) Mueller's appointment
> 4) boycott Adobe

I'd vote off Mueller's appointment.  All others are directly tied to the
incident, while Mueller is not.  FBI is an auxiliary tool, and Mueller was
not directly involved in handling of the complaint.

-Ig.