[sklyarov-chicago] from Adobe

Wed, 25 Jul 2001 13:52:21 -0500

----- Forwarded message from Don MacAskill <free-sklyarov@onethumb.com> -----

This came across the wire from Adobe today, I believe it's being sent to
all their partners.  In it, they reaffirm their statement that
prosecuting Dmitry isn't the right thing to do.

----

Monday, Adobe met with officials from the Electronic Frontier Foundation

(EFF) to better understand their concerns and explore ways to resolve
the issues surrounding the arrest of Dmitry Sklyarov while preserving
Adobe and its customers' copyrights. This meeting covered concerns about
this case, and while we strongly support the Digital Millennium
Copyright Act (DMCA) and the enforcement of copyright protection of
digital content, prosecuting Mr. Sklyarov in this particular case is not
conducive to the best interests of any of the parties involved or the
industry. It has always been Adobe's goal to have ElcomSoft stop selling
the Advanced eBook Processor software, and this has happened.

As a result of our meeting today, Adobe and the EFF issued a joint press

release recommending the release of Dmitry Sklyarov from federal
custody.  Adobe is also withdrawing its support for the criminal
complaint against

Mr. Sklyarov. The press release is attached for your reference.

The criminal complaint against Mr. Sklyarov has been, and continues to
be, in the hands of the US Attorney's office and it is up to them as to
how they choose to proceed. While we are not interested in supporting
the prosecution of this case, Adobe will continue to protect its
copyright interests and those of its customers.

Security is an ongoing effort at Adobe and the company is committed to
strengthening the security of its products. Regarding the Acrobat eBook
Reader, the company continues to make changes to the encryption scheme
of the current version the software. Adobe will continue its Web
surveillance of compromised eBooks in Adobe PDF. Reports continue show
no compromised

eBooks on FTP, web sites or popular peer-to-peer networks.

In conclusion, Adobe extends its gratitude for your patience and
support.  Adobe strongly believes in copyright protection for digital
content and will continue to support technology standards bodies,
government agencies and publishing industry associations in enforcing
copyright protection on the Internet. We also look forward to continuing
the good work of the digital rights management standards group in the
OeBF (Open eBook Forum) on eBook security and encryption issues.

---