[sklyarov-chicago] Re: [free-sklyarov] -- OFFICIAL CHICAGO PROTEST INFORMATION --

Nate Riffe inkblot@geocities.com
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 19:11:55 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Len Sassaman wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Peter A. Peterson II wrote:
>

> > ANOTHER IMPORTANT NOTE: *** We are *NOT* protesting the FBI or the FBI's
> > action in this case. They are "doing their jobs" by following the DMCA
> > which *is* in effect. Protesters are specifically requested NOT to bring
> > anti-FBI signs or shirts to the protest.
>
> I'm not going to tell the Chicago folks how to run their protest, but let
> me state that I firmly believe that the FBI and DoJ are in the wrong in
> this case. Dmitry should never have been arrested. *If* this is an actual
> DMCA violation, it would be Elcomsoft that is to blame, not Dmitry.
>
> The FBI screwed up. Again. This is nothing new.

That may well be the case, but that is the subject of another protest.
Pete and I have narrowed this protest down to what we believe are the two
most important issues.  I am really not familiar with the FBI's and the
DoJ's involvement or conduct here except that the FBI arrested Sklyarov
and made a show of it.  If someone who is more familiar with that issue
and believes it is protestable would like to put together press release
and protester dosier about a week from now, that's cool.

-Nate

Nate Riffe			Help Dmitry Sklyarov find freedom in the so-
inkblot@geocities.com		called "Land of the Free."
                  http://www.eff.org/alerts/20010719_eff_sklyarov_alert.html